Thursday, July 17, 2008

Au revoir Paris et Europa

Over a glass of French wine, a juicy steak, escargot, and a small coffee to settle the stomach, Marco and I sat and enjoyed our final meal in Paris. These past two weeks we've been traveling through London and Paris. And the topic of our conversation turned to our favorite moments during our first trip abroad as a couple. Coincidentally, dinner fell on the same date as the 18 month mark of our relationship.

To decide on favorite moments was equally difficult for both of us. However, there was on thing we agreed on....that Paris was, by far, better than London. It seemed that almost every passing day was better than the previous one while we've been here in the city of romance.

Because we are leaving tomorrow to head back to London and then leaving Saturday to return to the States, I'm going to keep this as short as I can and write about our journey after our return home. This trip has been full of highlights and lengthy days, which explains why I haven't been blogging as I had hoped. I've been exhausted, and recently, I caught a cold from Marco since we came to Paris on Monday.

But here's how I'd begin to create my list of best experiences on our vacation.

Without further due, and in the order in which I'd rank them.....

1. Musee du Louvre
I don't think I need to explain much here, but holy hell! I've never seen quite an amazing museum. The funny thing is that all three museums we visited (also Musee d'Orsay and The National Gallery in London) were amazing. But this one is special. History talks to you as you turn every corner. And the elaborate decoration of each statue on the outside makes time stand still. That's more than enough to put this at my #1 spot.

2. Bastille Celebration at the Eiffel Tower
Who would have known? The day we get into Paris is also a national holiday celebrating the Bastille and the liberation of France during the French Revolution. This was difficult to not put at the top, since we waited just below the tower for 6 hours for the most amazing firework display of mankind. Simply the best! My pictures are full of spiritual orbs. I mean FULL. I suppose the spirits of the fallen showed up to celebrate as well. There were at least 300,000 people out there, if not more! The French go all out with their fireworks!! Unfortunately, the ride up to the top of the Eiffel Tower the next day was not as good. A bit overrated.

3. Notre Dame
I must say that I expected this to be my favorite, since I've been waiting to see it for years, ever since studying its architectural beauty in college. But my cold may have interfered a little bit. We didn't go up to the towers as planned. Both of us felt under the weather. But despite all the tourists inside, there was an immense energy about the cathedral that added to it's stunning beauty. I felt calm and at peace. Plus, you could see more orbs from all the spirits hanging around.

4. L' Arc de Triomphe
The Bastille celebration at the Eiffel Tower had the jaw dropping extravaganza, but the view was a bit too much from atop the Eiffel Tower. Not the case with L' Arc de Triomphe. It was more eye pleasing, and you could actually spot more places than from the Eiffel Tower. The true beauty of Paris is never more present than from the roof of the arc. Breathtaking!

5. Westminster Abbey in London
This wasn't only about Paris, even though Paris lands a knockout victory over London overall. Westminster has so much to say for itself. The tomb of Queen Elizabeth I is obviously enough to draw you to see the Abbey. Also, the other tombs and memorials of many famous writers, actors and politicians, as well as the cloisters, will amaze you.

6. Bath, England
Granted, I was only there for a mere hour and a half, but it cannot go without being said that this is the most stunning city in England that I have seen. The Roman architecture will entice you, and instantly, you feel as though you're in Italy. I plan to go back and stay a few days.

7. Musee d'Orsay
The French really know how to make their museums. The Impressionist pieces of work here are jaw dropping. There's plenty to see, although the layout and map are a bit confusing.

8. National Gallery in London
This was my favorite museum until I came to France. Still, it has so much to offer for your visual enjoyment. So many striking pieces of art.

9. Stratford-Upon-Avon
If you can't meet the most famous writer in the world, then you must see his birthplace. Stratford, the home of William Shakespeare, is a quaint but lively little town near the Cotswolds. There's so much going on, and to see where he was born is historically uplifting.

10. Any view of the Siene River in Paris
From any bridge, you can enjoy the romantic points of Paris. The city may be enormous, but there is also a small atmosphere to it. This is where you fall in love with Paris, and it feels like the heart of the city.

That wasn't easy, but these are the top 10 highlights from our trip. We saw so much more, including Stonehenge (I bet you're wondering why it didn't make the top 10...weather's a bitch!), Oxford, a Jack the Ripper tour, Salisbury Cathedral, Montmarte, Houses of Parliament, The London Eye, etc. More will come soon, along with pictures.

No comments: