Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Fault in Our Faith

Before I write my first post in five years, I bet you're wondering what Miss Piggy and lipstick have to do with anything...and why is it my new blog title? I hope to keep you hooked. All I will say right this second is that it relates to my past, something undeniably a part of what has shaped me. I do not like pink that much, and I do not wear lipstick. But if I did, would that even matter?

So that brings me to my topic. The fault in our faith.

I know plenty of good churches that do not act the way I am about to describe. I am not writing to condemn people for what they believe in but rather speak to my own truth and understanding.  Unlike so many of my family and friends, I cannot subscribe to the same religious beliefs or even the same idea of God or the word of the Bible. It has never made sense to me.

I believe in God, and I am a spiritual man. But I am a non-believer in religion. I have survived the guilt and shame of being a Mormon as well as having escaped a cult. In that essence, I do not believe that we should be "God-fearing." Why should I fear my God? How is that healing?

Further, I cannot be a follower of some notion if it is used to harm others. Christians prompt us to stand up against evil. I do believe that evil exists, but many evils happen to be Christian. Why do I say that? Forcing people to think and believe through guilt, shame, and humiliation is brainwashing. I should know. I was once brainwashed by a cult that was not even religious.

I find fault in our faith when I see people using their ideology to inflict pain and oppress others and call that God's plan. Faith s personable to me, not something I have to announce to the world. Maybe I will write about my exact beliefs, or maybe I won't. It's something I design as a sort of contract between me and my loving God.

I am very happy with that, and I do not want to be saved.






No comments: