Monday, June 23, 2008

Back in the saddle again


To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

The originator of those spoken words is unknown, but the truth behind them speaks volumes. About three or four years ago, I would only have hoped for someone to splash into my life. Someone that would let me be who I am and wouldn't force me to be someone other than myself. I guess that can be a tall task at times. I have been known to be anal retentive, rigid, and rather guarded. Guarded doesn't even begin to describe the path I've been down. But it's a start.


After forcing myself to settle and change for others, I had lost hope in discovering anyone else. Relationship after relationship failed me. Well, those so-called relationships turned out to be an important part of my journey to self-discovery. I began to notice patterns. Unhealthy and unwise patterns. And after things began to click for me again a couple of years ago, I met the perfect man for me.

Marco came to my 30th birthday party (an 80s costume and karaoke party) at the invitation of a mutual friend, Erika. She wanted to set us up, but both of us were not so willing to saddle up just yet. I had been single for nearly 3 years, and he had come out of a long-term relationship himself. He was disguised as the lead guitarist from Poison, while I dressed as The Cure's leading man, Robert Smith. Needless to say, I pursued talking to him and asking him out. I had nothing to lose.

Little did I know what adventure I was embarking on. I just knew that I would probably meet the right person for me in my 30s. I never realized it would be the day I turned 30!

A year and a half and several sushi rolls later, we're still going strong. In fact, we are about to take our very first big trip together to London and Paris in a couple of weeks. Other than the fact that he's so accepting of my faults, he encourages me.

Last summer, I blogged on myspace about my journey back to Argentina. I might repost those here but didn't find it appropriate for a first entry. Well, I wrote daily about
the hardships I encountered and the new love I created as I returned to the
country where I once lived. It was from those blogs that he began to encourage me to get back into writing.

Having a journalism degree, a writing background, and hell, even teaching writing to 4th graders, I somehow stopped writing myself. But I think it's important to tell your story. So I see this as not my first blog because it isn't, but rather a beginning of my story. And I dedicate this to the magnificent man that I love and cherish, Marco.

I'm letting love back in.

1 comment:

Mrs. Bianca said...

my love for the both of you grows every day. it's difficult to imagine life before Marco.